Thursday, July 28, 2011

My 2 year old speaks a different language

I know many parents have this problem but for me it is not that she is all "mumbo jumbo" she literally speaks another language.  I wanted her to be exposed to another language early on and when selecting a daycare provider, bilingual was a major criterion.  But I never considered how hard this would be on me.  Maise has a large collection of Polish words and phrases and unfortunately I don't learn as fast as she does so that leaves her frustrated and me behind.  Usually context clues get us to an understanding and then I can confirm with the sitter the next day the meaning of the word or phrase.  I am so happy she has taken so well to a new language but realize I now need to step it up just to keep up.  Hey who ever said, "You can't teach an old dog new tricks"...I hope they were wrong!

They say you need to use it or loose it when it comes to learning a language and since Maise will continue to be exposed daily for another year and then part time after she starts school I hope she will keep up with it herself.  Vanessa is being exposed to the same situation and it will be interesting to see if she catches on just as quickly.  More interesting will be if the two of them both take to it well and use it against us.  That's it I am getting Joe and myself a How to Speak Polish book today!  Sneaky girls won't gang up on us! 

2 comments:

  1. Exposing them to another language early on is great! The thought of them ganging up and using it against you is funny!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome!! You can always call or text me for a translation. I speak Polish :)

    ReplyDelete